All Somerlap fence panels are made from quality timber and are built to last. However, spending a little time looking after your fencing will help it last even longer. At Somerlap, we stock a wide range of fencing aftercare products to help keep your fence looking pristine.
Treating untreated timber
Somerlap fences come pressure treated. If you are buying untreated fencing, then we would recommend applying treatment to the timber as soon as possible – preferably before installation.
Barrettine Timber Protective Treatment is a superb product that's suitable for external, untreated timbers. It creates a protective, water resistant coating that prevents the growth of mould and algae.
We recommend retreating your fencing annually, unless you’re using Stable Coat (see below) which, when applied correctly, can last 1-3 years.
How to use Barrettine:
- Wait for a dry, still day with a dry forecast for the next 48 hours
- Apply to dry, untreated or sanded wood
- Apply 2-3 coats using a brush, dip roller, or solvent compatible, low pressure sprayer
Treat less often with Protek Stable Coat
If fencing aftercare isn’t your idea of fun, then Protek Stable Coat is the product for you. It’s a water-based coating that protects against water damage and is completely safe for pets and plants.
It uses nanotechnology to add extreme protection to timber. When applied correctly, protection can last 1-3 years (depending on levels of wear and tear and exposure to the elements).
Stable Coat is available in clear, light green, dark brown and golden brown.
How to use Protek Stable Coat:
- Wait for a dry, still day
- Apply two coats if it’s the first treatment
- Apply one coat if it’s a maintenance treatment
- Apply using a brush, dip roller, or low pressure sprayer
Add protective paint
If you prefer the more contemporary look of a painted fence, then we recommend Protek Royal Exterior Paint. We use it on our sheds and furniture in our showrooms at our Mark site and we've found it to be excellent quality.
Available in a wide variety of shades, Royal Exterior Superior Wood finish provides a quick drying, water-resistant coating with mould and fungal protection.
How to use Protek Paint:
- Wait for fine, dry weather
- Apply 2-3 coats (depending on the desired finish)
- Apply using a brush or dip roller
Banish mould, algae, lichen and moss
If, despite your best efforts, your fencing has gathered a coat of moss or mould, don’t despair.
Wet & Forget kills and removes moss, algae, lichen and moss without scrubbing or bleach, restoring your fence to its former glory.
How to use Wet & Forget:
- Spray on with a low pressure garden sprayer – and that's it!
Getting the best from fencing aftercare
- If you have any fencing aftercare queries, please call the Somerlap Team on 01278 641671.
- Why not pay us a visit and see our fencing products for yourself in our outdoor and indoor showrooms.
- Somerlap Forest Products is just a short journey off the M5 (Junction 22 at Edithmead). We’re close to Bridgwater, Burnham-on-Sea, Taunton, Weston-super-Mare, Axbridge and Cheddar.
- For Sat Nav users, the postcode is TA9 4NR.
We’re open six days a week and our opening times are:
Monday to Friday: 7:30am to 5:00pm Saturday: 7:30am to 12:30pm Sunday: Closed